Looking for a dynamic, humorous speaker for your next event? Jean has delighted more than 13,000 people throughout North America speaking about entrepreneurship, joyful leadership as well as the science of joy and laughter. Her personal talks explore her identity as a hard-of-hearing person growing up in a deaf household and navigating identity within the hearing and deaf worlds. As a native signer, Jean delivers engaging content in both English and American Sign Language.
- Life as an Adventure Game
After the near-death of her husband while living in Dallas in 2012, Jean and Blair moved back to his hometown of Barrie to start their own businesses after being away for 20 years. Jean launched her coaching program Joy Bootcamp, helping people find more mindfulness, joy and gratitude in their lives and Blair started developing a prototype for simplifying video game creation to help traditional authors create narrative-based video games. Jean soon found herself drawn to the hustle in her role as CEO of One More Story Games, helping Blair raise over $450,000, training 18 Georgian College students, teaching kids as young as 8 years old how to use the software and shaking up the games industry by landing a #1 NYT best-selling author with over 36 million novels sold.
- Accidental Educators: What 10 year olds taught us about our tech startup
As a startup, you have your head down and focused on what you think you know about your customers. Jean explores what the team at One More Story Games learned while working with youth over two summers and how they changed course of their startup to include customers they didn’t know they had. <http://jeanleggett.com/what-12-year-olds-taught-us-about-our-tech-startup/>
- Betwixt: Navigating Identity as a Child of Deaf Adults
Being born hard-of-hearing into a deaf family (mom, dad & sister are deaf), Jean shares the journey of her childhood enriched in the deaf community, a family divided, and being bullied by both hearing and deaf people. She shares her perspective on politically-charged issues within the deaf community – being called an “audist” for wanting to communicate with both deaf and hearing viewers in her spoken/signed cooking videos, what it means to have Deaf heart and how deaf do you have to be to be a member of the community.
- Leadership Lessons Learned from a Standup Comedian
Jean shares Leadership Lessons she learned as a standup comedian and professional coach. Life is full of hecklers, disgruntled audiences & opportunities to laugh at its challenges. What is to be aware of your timing, tone & impact on others? How do we demonstrate self-leadership? Jean teaches audiences these fundamental skills so that they can go and lead their teams better.
- Health and Humour: What’s laughter got to do with it?
Drawing from her training as a certified Laughter Yoga leader, Jean talks about the health benefits of laughter and positive mindset. Did you know that we experience a multiplier effect when we laugh in a group setting? It’s kinda like a joy cocktail party! A team that laughs together, works together! This talk combines an educational component with a hands-on laughter yoga experience!
Games Industry Talks
- Keynote, Speaker, Panelist, Jalloo Festival of Animation and Gaming (6/17)
- Speaker, Women in Games Boston – Accidental Educators: What 10-Year-Olds Taught Us About Our Gaming Startup (4/18/17)
- Speaker, Capital Gaming Expo, Ottawa – Accidental Educators: What 10-Year-Olds Taught Us About Our Gaming Startup (4/1/17)
- Speaker, Power-Up Digital Games Conference – Storytelling in Games for Traditional Authors (01/17)
- Panelist, Women in Virtual Reality and Film panel, Brussels, BE (10/16)
- Panelist, San Diego Comic-Con – Writing in the Computer Games Industry (07/16)
- Seminar, Yeti-Con – Writing Interactive Narratives, an Introduction (06/16)
- Seminar, Bouchercon (mystery reader/writer conference) – Exploring Interactive Fiction: Storytelling in Social Games (11/14)
- Seminar, Bloody Words (Author conference) – Writing Interactive Narratives for Games (06/14)
Keynotes, Seminars & Workshops
- Keynote speaker, VOICE for Hearing Impaired Children Canada
- Keynote speaker & workshop facilitator, Northern BC Children and Families Hearing Society
- Guest speaker, Barrie Chamber of Commerce
- Guest speaker, Lupus Ontario
- Keynote, Women and Children’s Shelter of Barrie
- Regular Guest, Rogers’ Daytime Television
- Guest speaker, Motivational Mondays (www.momondays.com), Toronto, Montreal, Barrie, Guelph and Brampton
- Guest speaker, Women With Vision
- Guest speaker, Pampered Chef Canada National Conference
- Workshop facilitator, Vancouver Coastal Health Well-Being Program for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Speaker, Canadian Deaf Women’s Conference
- Speaker, Canadian Deaf Conference
- Guest speaker, Small Business Connect
- Guest speaker, CODA International